Thank you for visiting Bikes Built Better’s Tech Discussion Forum

Do Not Post Here For Support

Use Contact Form For Fast Customer Support

Forum Registration has been disabled due to spamming the board. Previously registered users have been saved and information is safe and secure. We left the forums open to browse but have deleted many of the posts that had been compromised. We will post new tech information here in the future but if you have a question or need service please use our
Contact Form Located Here.

2008 FL MUFFLER M-OVAL SLIP ON

To ask a question or post a topic for Touring
Start a New Topic Here
webuser

2008 FL MUFFLER M-OVAL SLIP ON

Post by webuser »

I assume that the new mufflers come with the proper mounting hardware and instructions, correct?
Steffridesabuell
Site Admin

Re: 2008 FL MUFFLER M-OVAL SLIP ON

Post by Steffridesabuell »

They should have any hardware that you need. Not sure about instructions; though any Vance and Hines items that I've installed personally did come with directions. (C'mon, Matt, we all know that guys don't read the instrustions anyway! :D Just kidding. Let me know if you need any help or other pieces.
webuser

Post by webuser »

I’ve yet to install any important parts on my bike…fairly new rider. But I am going to give these a shot. From what I understand it should only be a couple of screws on each side and a clamp. I should be able to handle that with no instructions. You hit the nail on the head in terms of me “reading the instructions”…I am hoping for a picture that a two year old could understand.
Steffridesabuell
Site Admin

Hopefully it won't be a picture drawn by a two-year-old! Good luck, Matt. You can do this!
webuser

Post by webuser »

I just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that my muffler installation went seamlessly. Thanks for you help and encouragement.

Do you have any suggestions for a good air filter replacement and fuel injection pack for a 2008 Street Glide?
Steffridesabuell
Site Admin

Glad to know the installation went well.

We usually install a Power Commander (EFI controller) when our customers change pipes or mufflers. A Power Commander plugs right into your stock wiring harness, makes NO permanent changes to your computer, and we'll load the correct map for your bike so you shouldn't have to do anything but plug it in. A Power Commander for your bike will be $379.95, and the bike will run so much better once it's install that you won't believe it's the same bike.

We also often install a Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. It uses a K&N washable air filter and you can install your stock air cleaner cover on it so nobody will know you've done anything to the intake. The Big Suckers run $127.95 for one with a plain aluminum backing plate, or $147.95 with a chrome backing plate.

If you'd rather not use the stock air cleaner cover, let me know what you have in mind and I'll help you out.
webuser

Post by webuser »

When you say, “stock wiring harness” what exactly are you referring to? I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Also, is the backing plate visible with the stock air cleaner cover? I guess what I’m asking is, why would someone get the chrome backing versus the aluminum?
Steffridesabuell
Site Admin

Wiring harness: you unplug your computer under the seat, and plug in the
power Commander. The instructions give you a photo of the connectors to look for. If this is your first venture into electronics you might want to get help from someone who's done this before. I don't think you could screw this up, as the Power Commander can only go in one way, but I know I felt better when I installed mine because there was somebody there who's installed dozens of them.

Air cleaner: you don't really see the backing plate with the stock air cleaner cover; the chrome backing plates are for guys who want to run teeny face plates with the Big Sucker guts.

Hope that helps